Zork
Peony D Beckside
Images by Arizona Wanderer
In appreciation of, and with thanks to John Norman for
creating the wonderful world of Gor, in which this story is set.
Chapter Six: The Ferry
The female puny one that Cadmus calls Kiki is no longer afraid of me. Sure I can make her afraid again, but that will make her less efficient in keeping Cadmus and Grunthon happy. Yes, she would make a lovely meal, but she is the property of Cadmus. Whilst the concept of ‘ownership’ is different for us, there is dishonour in destroying something that belongs to another unless one is provoking that Kur.
She was absolutely terrified when Cadmus gave her the
comb and told her to groom me. So much
so that she involuntarily excreted. Good
job her garment has no nether closure, and that we were camped by a stream.
“No, Master! Pleeeaase…, I beg of you. It’ll eat me!”
Now
she calls me ‘he’, not ‘it’.
“Do a good job girl, and perhaps he won’t…”
“Kill me, Master, please…”
Such
was her lack of reason at that point.
“That’s illogical. If I kill you, he certainly will eat
you! Obey, or I will give him permission
to eat you”
Her
only answer was to groan. She came
towards me and started combing hesitantly.
As I didn’t overtly threaten her, she became more confident. Eventually she had combed just about all of
my fur. She did do a good job. I’d not felt so well and sleek since landing
on this miserable rock. She’s a playful
thing around me, and about the camp, scampering about as she does her duties.
Cadmus
is lying behind a hummock. He’s
scrutinising the settlement ahead and the river it sits upon. He’s using what he calls a ‘Glass of the
builders’, a long tube that I suspect magnifies the image he sees with his
eyes.
He returns to the campfire and calls myself and Grunthon
to council.
“It’s not good. The river is too deep, wide and fast flowing
to wade or swim…”
I
comment
“I am not a fish!”
He
smiles at that.
“No, you are not.”
He
pauses.
“There is however a
ferry…
“What is a ‘ferry’,
Cadmus?”
“A boat that is used to
cross the river. In this case, it’s big
enough to carry six wagons, so it can carry us all, including Zork. The ferry is attached to a rope or cable that
crosses the river. It’s operated by a
group of men, slaves I assume, hauling along the rope.
The problem is, that the ferry is at the far end of a
small walled town, and it is guarded by quite a large contingent of armed
men. I doubt that even you, Zork, could
kill them all before they brought you down and killed you. Even if we got through the gate, down to the
ferry landing, and onto the ferry, in order to protect the community on the
other side from us, they would likely cut the cable. The current in the river would carry us
downstream into the jungle. We don’t
want that. There’s no viable way out of the jungle except up river or downriver
to the sea. We won’t have the ability to
propel the ferry upstream, and even if we got down to Schendi, getting a ship
north would be problematical.”
I
consider what Cadmus is telling us, but before I can suggest a course of
action, he speaks again.
“I have an idea
though. You might not like it Zork. It would be terribly demeaning to you.”
“I can put up with that
if it allows us to get past this obstacle.
What do you have in mind, Cadmus.?”
“Firstly, how many coins
do we have between us. I should have
checked that man you ate, Kiki’s former Master to see if he had any. In future, Zork, if you must eat humans, before
you devour all of them, please check.
Money is always useful.”
“I have some coins, I
remind. I took them from a red-coated
man, after he’d tried to stick his tiny knife in me.”
“Good, let us see how
much you have.”
I
produce the disk shaped items, I’d concluded were coins. Cadmus examined them again. He must have forgotten how many there were
and their worth.
“Excellent, Zork! There’s enough here I believe, to pay for the
ferry crossing, and some extra equipment we will need, also for much needed
supplies.”
Cadmus
takes a pull from what I believe is his last bottle of Ka-La-Na wine.
“Tomorrow, Kiki and I
disguise ourselves as an itinerant peasant and his slave. We go into town. I need to change Kiki’s collar, anyway. While there I buy large amounts of the
heaviest looking chain that I can find, then return.
This is where you have to ‘play along’, Zork. The day after, you remove your clothes, all
of them, and the translator. Sorry,
Zork, if this is to work the townspeople must think that you are a mere beast,
and helpless at that. We wrap chains on
your limbs, tight enough that they look effective, but loose enough that you
can slip them easily if necessary.
We go back into town, all of us. Kiki will hold a leading chain from your
neck, Zork. If someone so slight, a
woman and a slave at that can appear to be able to control you, you will be
thought of as harmless. If you can
approximate a human smile that would help.
Throw in a few jumps and capers, and I can tell people that I’m training
you to dance… No matter what the
provocation, you must not let anyone think that you are dangerous. I told you it would be demeaning… Sorry Zork, but it’s the only plan I can
think of that might be viable.”
I
can’t help myself. I laugh. It’s so ridiculous it might just work. If nothing else teasing the local inhabitants
might have a humorous edge to it. Even
Kiki is amused, though she has had the good sense to remain silent.
“We go in slowly,
openly. If asked, I tell the guards that
I know a showman who’ll pay me a large amount of money for a dancing
beast. We buy supplies and move down to
the landing stage, negotiate our passage across and board the ferry. At the far side, we use the same story, if
asked, and then set off in the direction of Samnium. When we are out of sight of anyone, we take
Zork’s chains off, give him back his clothes and continue as before. If it works we might need to use the same
plan to cross other future rivers.”
“Make sure I can easily
get out of the chains in case it doesn’t work, and have my axe hidden but
easily accessible.”
“Certainly Zork. It’ll be flat on the bed of my handcart where
you can easily slide it out. Anyone see
any flaws in the plan, yes Kiki even you may comment if you can see an issue
we’ve not thought about.”
“No Master, you seem to
have covered everything.”
I
make my decision. If it works, letting
Cadmus live, will have been a good idea.
“Very well, Cadmus. I can’t say that I’m totally happy about this
plan, but it does seem the most likely to succeed.”
Narrative of Cadmus
I
anticipate some difficulty with the metal worker. The removal of one Master’s collar from a
slave and the affixing of another Master’s, without slave papers is a fraught
negotiation. I consider forging such
documentation, but instead decide on using the truth, or as close to it as
possible.
“Kiki, you may be asked
about what happened to your previous master, and how you came to be my
property. You will tell the absolute
truth. The only item that you will
withhold is that Zork is with our party.
Got that?”
“Yes, Master, but who
will ask?”
“You know the saying
about curiosity in slaves?”
“Yes, Master. Sorry, Master.
I
enter the forge, Kiki following like a well-trained animal, and am greeted by a
large rubicund man.
“How may I help you, sir?”
“Kiki, kneel.”
“This slave’s previous
Master is dead. I have claimed her by
right of capture. I need to change her
collar for mine.”
“You’ve no slave papers,
no receipt? That’s a serious matter.”
“No, we were in wild
country, this is the first town we’ve come to.”
“Oh. I don’t know…”
“I am leaving the
building. I am going out of
earshot. Feel free to ask the slave the
circumstances under which she came into my control. Lest you feel she’s been coached, as per the
law, and the taking of evidence from slaves, you may torture her to get the
truth. Please however use a method that
does not damage her. I’ll be in the
tavern across the road. I’ll return in
half an hour.”
I
feel Kiki stiffen against my leg when I mention torture. I examine a display of collar types on a
board.
“This type of collar, I
think. My name is Cadmus of Ar. Assuming that Kiki satisfies your
apprehensions, how much will it cost for you to do the job?”
I
cross the road and enter the Paga Tavern.
A lithe beauty enquires after my preferences. I tell her that I’m only here for a
drink. She goes away and fetches it,
serving it so well that I’m sorely tempted to take her to an alcove. Instead I sip my paga appreciatively.
I think that I hear a vague but distant scream, but can’t
be sure.
At the next table two men are discussing a war. There’s always a war somewhere. I hear the names Argentum and Corcyrus. Not having my map with me, I have to recall
it to mind. I wonder if we really need
to reconsider our route to Torvaldsland.
The original plan is to turn north west towards Samnium as soon as we
are clear of the jungle’s edge, and thence to cross the Vosk river somewhere
between Turmus and Victoria. The problem
with that is that we’d have to cross land controlled by Argentum, but
potentially perhaps a war-zone. I
consider other alternatives. Should we
at the turning point, instead head north towards Torcadino, with the intention
of crossing the Vosk somewhere near Ar’s Station. I’ll check the map when I get back to the
camp and discuss with Zork and Grunthon.
The men continue their conversation.
“I hear tell that
Corcyrus is attempting an alliance with Torcadino by marrying the daughter of
the Tatrix to one of the Torcadino princes.”
“Interesting move, but I
doubt it’ll come off.”
Hmmm. What to do for the best? Which route to take? This Argentum/Corcyrus war is inflaming the
whole of the Central plains of Gor.
When I return to the forge, it’s to see Kiki kneeling, a
new collar on her throat. She’s rubbing
one of her fingers and has signs of tears having chased down her cheeks. I pay the man the agreed sum and head for the
trading post that I’d seen when entering the town.
I purchase a sturdy shoulder pack and affix it to
Kiki. To it I add a considerable weight
of chain and locks. Kiki struggles to
carry the pack, but eventually we return to our camp site.
We
approach the city gate. I push my
handcart, Grunthon carries a shoulder
pack with his own belongings. Kiki skips
along behind me, Zork's leading chain in her hand. Zork has chains from wrist to wrist and ankle
to ankle, neither short enough to seriously restrict his movement, but loose
enough for him to get out of them quickly.
A squad of armed men exit the gate and stand in postures
of readiness. The officer speaks.
“Halt!”
“Where are you lot going, then?”
“The ferry. We
wish to cross the river. Also to
purchase supplies for our onward journey.”
The
officer pauses
“What on Gor, is that?!”
“Don’t know, Major…”
I
don’t know enough about Gorean military ranks to know if I have got the right
one, or even if I’m flattering the man by ‘promoting’ him. He just looks important.
“… I found him snuffling
around a village rubbish heap. The
villagers were terrified. I enticed it
way with a piece of meat. Fortunately Grunthon
here is a good enough hunter to keep it fed.
It didn’t even seem to mind when I put the chains on it; it somehow
seemed fascinated by them. It even
dances a little. I hope to train it to
do so better. There’s a showman I know
who’ll pay me much gold for a dancing beast!”
Zork
doesn’t know precisely what I’m saying as his translator is switched off and
hidden. He’s sufficiently intelligent to
make a good guess at the gist of the conversation, though he’s deliberately not
showing any interest in it, or signs of perception. His acting, at least so far is perfect.
“I don’t believe you.
Show me.”
“Kiki, get the beast’s attention and start clapping,”
I
hope that Zork gets the message. Kiki
jiggle’s Zork’s leash and starts a rhythm.
Zork rises and begins capering about, hopping from one leg to the other. Kiki changes the beat and Zork changes his
movements.
“Fine, I’m convinced.
Captain Ferris!”
“Yes, Sir!”
“Your troupe will escort this group to the ferry landing,
spears at the ready. They can buy their
supplies on the Via Rivierre. They are
not to be allowed into the side streets.
You are not to let them out of your sight. You stay with them until they are on the ferry
and it has left the dock. Anything
suspicious happens kill them all.”
“Yes, Sir!”
I
pray to the Priest Kings, that Zork doesn’t react when Captain Ferris’ men drop
their spears into what could be considered an attacking posture. Clearly they answer, for Zork does not.
We wander, or more particularly are marshalled down the
main street of this small town. Captain
Ferris allows our party to stop at several market stalls as I bargain for the
things we need. Eventually we arrive at
the landing stage as the ferry is docking.
I find the vendor of the ostrakon needed to board the ferry. He drives a hard bargain insisting on
charging the rate for a whole wagon, just for Zork. I have little option but to let him. We board the ferry, Zork lying down appearing
to sleep. Comatose, he takes up nearly
as much room as a wagon.
An hour later we have disembarked the ferry and are
departing the small community at that side of the river. We head north-east, with the intention of
swinging north-west in about a week, so as to bypass the jungle.
As soon as we find a copse we disencumber Zork of his
chains, give him his clothes and translator back. I think he is relieved. He goes off with his axe to kill something,
hopefully not someone.


Peony D Beckside, Arizona Wanderers:
ReplyDelete(1) Cute story. Better than the writing of a guy who violated the laws of the “Slave Camp” universe. I tried to get him to rewrite a chapter I thought he bungled. He dared me, “Complain to Literotica,” so I did and Lit took down the chapter forcing him to rewrite. He keeps carping an anonymous someone is out to get him. What did he expect? My writing escalates. Chapter 8, which came out features four battles in a subterranean foundry. It was fun to write. Arizona did a wonderful job capturing Zork being groomed and led on a chain by Kiki. They tell a story by themselves — a picture is worth a thousand words and frankly, Zork is cuter than Rykart. I hope Arizona enjoys the battle scenes as a former soldier, although they’re written to be preposterous. I’m thinking about rewriting Chapter 05 because it’s out of order because of a missing period in the title and putting in some BDSM scenes. Feel free to email me with requests. I used Tracker’s AoG (4) dialogue again. It is better thought out than Norman, although I prefer to meter it out a couple of sentences, instead of pages, at a time.
vyeh
Ha! I never intended to make an image of a Kur that might be seen as cute! But, Zork does seem much more tame with his mouth closed, not showing any teeth.
DeleteI will go to read your work and look for the battle scenes. I doubt anyone will complain if you add some bdsm and sex scenes as they should be welcomed on an erotic site.
I enjoyed reading of Kiki being left alone with the metal worker and leaving the reader to wonder what sort of torture she endured, Must’ve been something to do with her finger - some sort of vise or clamp?
I thought the story and images were well suited, and both very good. It may by that Zork seemed less intimidating this episode because 1. He didn't eat anyone, and 2, He seemed a little smaller in proportion to the 'puny ones'.
DeleteInteresting how Kiki's need to be 'perfectly pleasing' allowed her to learn to properly groom Zork.