Sunday, 27 September 2026

Zork (9) by Peony D Beckside

 

Zork
Peony D Beckside

In appreciation of, and with thanks to John Norman for creating the wonderful world of Gor, in which this story is set.

Illustrations by Arizona Wanderer

  

Chapter Nine: The Fork In The Road

 

Narrative of Grunthon

 

Half a day north of Jorts Ferry the track forks.  Cadmus speaks.

“Tharna or Ko-Ro-Ba?  Any preference, Zork, Grunthon, Clystemous?”

Zork comments.

“I trust you Cadmus to find the best route.”

What is he talking about!?  Ko-Ro-Ba was destroyed by the Priest Kings.  ‘No stone may stand on another, No two persons of Ko-Ro-Ba may stand next to one another’.  That is what the Initiate had said when he passed on the news of the city’s doom.  I had loved the city, the place of my upbringing.  I had been granted the honour if kissing the Home-Stone, thus confirming my allegiance to the city.  Even though the Caste of Metal-Workers is not one of the high castes, I had served in one of the city’s Militia, having made my own weapons.  I had left in tears having no clue as to where I would go, what I would do.

Eventually I had arrived at the village; it being in need of a Smith.  There I had met the lovely Julia Ramontine.  We had free-companioned, that arrangement was renewed eighteen times[1] and would have been for a thousand more if I’d had my way.

Along had come Kerita, our beautiful daughter.  We doted on her.  Then the Tuchuks descended on the village.  Julia was killed vainly trying to protect Kerita.  I was knocked unconscious.  The Tuchuks must have thought me dead.  When I was awakened by Zork and Cadmus, I searched for and found Julia’s body.  Kerita was gone.  I knew not where; presumably enslaved, lost to me forever.  I was totally devastated.  I buried Julia, even considering ending my own life.  Zork and Cadmus kept me busy using practicality to stop me from suicidal thoughts.  I know not if this was deliberate by Cadmus,  Zork?  I don’t know if his kind can feel sorrow or understand grief.  Between them they gave me an excuse to live again.

“What are you talking about, Cadmus?  Ko-Ro-Ba is destroyed, never again to exist.  I was there.  It was my city.  I saw the stones torn down to rubble, by some unknown force as I departed.”

Cadmus looks at me with a new clarity of understanding.

“No, my friend!  Ko-Ro-Ba is rebuilding.  Its Home-Stone was not lost.  I thought everyone knew this!  I was at the Sardar Fairs when, following the whole of Gor shaking, Administrator Cabot and a handful of former Ko-Ro-Ba’n citizens called that the city’s Home-Stone survived, and that all those of the city to meet and re-pledge their allegiance to Ko-Ro-Ba.  Out of curiosity, such is the nature of Scribes, I went along to see this apparent miracle.  Administrator Cabot ordered all those of Ko-Ro-Ba, or who would be of the new city, to muster ready to return to the ruins.  The stipulation is that every returning citizen must fetch a stone for the walls of the new city.”

I am stunned!  This I would never have believed could ever happen.  If I’d known, I would have headed North from the village months, if not years ago.  I am ecstatic, excited more than I can say.

“I don’t know how far they’ll have got in rebuilding yet.  It takes years to build a city.  It probably won’t yet be as beautiful as it was before it’s fall; you must not be disappointed if it isn’t yet as you would have it.  The Ko-Ro-Ba Road it is then.”

Not far from the fork there’s a rocky outcrop.  Several pieces of stone litter the base of the outcrop.  I pick up one that I think the most appropriate.  It makes a pleasing thump as I drop it on the back of the new wagon.

 


We stand on a low hill looking down into the valley, and the burgeoning city below.  The new city walls are impressive, but not yet complete.  There are gaps in the wall that doubtless will soon be finished.  Through the gaps, I see what is essentially a construction site and workers camp.  I am at once saddened not to see the graceful elegant circular towers that I remember from my childhood; yet am heartened by what I see is the exuberance and liveliness, the hustle and bustle, of the temporary city.  Intellectually I had known that the towers would not be there, indeed I had seen them torn down, but one can be blinded by the longing and wistfulness of one’s own past.

We are about to descend into the valley when there is the cracking sound of a flock of birds taking flight.  We are surrounded by a large flight of hovering tarns; the men on them all levelling long spears at our party.  Cadmus calls out, to Zork, but also to all of us.

“Hold still, everyone.  Do not move suddenly.  Zork, very slowly lay your axe on the back of the wagon.  I will handle this matter.”

One of the airbourne warriors speaks.  I take him to be the leader.

“What is your purpose, enemies[2], in coming upon the city of Ko-Ro-Ba?”

“One of our number returns to his city as ordered.  He brings a stone for the walls of his city.  He has only just heard that his city is being rebuilt.”

“And the rest of you?”

“This other man, Clystemous, seeks a new place to call home.  Perhaps he may find it here?  I understand that this city welcomes new people who will contribute to it.  I am Cadmus of Ar.  I and my friend…”

Cadmus indicates Zork.

“   travel north, ultimately to Torvaldsland.  The slave belongs to me.”

“What manner of beast is this, that you call friend?”

“No mere beast, Captain!  He is sentient, as intelligent as you or I, perhaps even more so.  His name is Zork, and his kind goes by the name of Kur.”

The officer considers.

“Brandon, Go to the city.  Apprise Administrator Cabot of these visitors.  Ask him if he will meet us outside the new gate.  He shall decide the disposition of this group of travellers.  Grokon, hold here with ten men in case there are further visitors or threats.  The rest with me.  We accompany these travellers.  If they so much as stray from the track, we kill them all, understand?  Enemies, move now.”

“Kiki, grab the leading rope of the tharlarion.”

Brandon peels off, heading for the city as we trudge slowly, so as not to be seen as being threatening.

 

In front of the half-completed gate stands a man dressed in nondescript brown robes.  Behind him is a phalanx of spearmen under the command of a well-muscled officer.  Never at any time has there been a real chance that even Zork could fight our way free if we wished to, now even less so.

The administrator is that rarity given the almost universal take-up of the Stabilisation Serum’s, he is an old man.  Not old in the sense of being decrepit, but his lined face speaks of much experience.  He caries an air of quiet strength and unequivocal power.

I step forward.

“Greetings Administrator!  I recall you from the ceremony when I was much younger, when I was granted the honour of kissing the city’s Home Stone.  I am Grunthon a metalworker, and I return to my city bearing a stone for the city’s walls, as I understand, has been ordered.”

Clearly wary of allowing enemy cities to infiltrate spies into the city, Administrator Cabot begins a series of questions about the geography, history, and culture of the previous city, in order to ascertain my bona fides.

There is a cry from the bamboo scaffolding surrounding the gate.

“Hey!  Grunthon!  Is that you?  I thought you must be dead!”

“Not yet Minnepus!  Close!  You owe me a paga, I recall!”

“Gladly, I’ll pay it!  Good to see you!  The Pink Snake Tavern, tonight?”

“All being well, Minnepus, assuming the Administrator lets me in!”

“Minnepus, is known and trusted.  It seems you are vouched for.  You are welcome.  We have need of metalworkers.  You are however on half a year’s probation, before you may renew your allegiance and kiss again the home stone.  As for your companions, I must know more.”

“Thank you Administrator, This is Cadmus of Ar, a scribe as his gown attests.  He is far more erudite than I.  Let him give you whatever information you need.  I trust him absolutely.”

“Very good, Grunthon.  So, Cadmus, what manner of monster is this that you have with you?”

“No monster, Administrator.  Not human, but sentient, intelligent, and an honourable being.  If he gives his word, he sticks to it.  In all the time I’ve known him, he has never once broken his word…”

“This true Grunthon?”

“Yes.  Since he and Cadmus came upon me, Zork, that’s his name, has never once gone back on his word.”

“Carry on, Cadmus.”

“As Administrator, I assume you know of the ‘Second knowledge’, that this place, Gor, is a sphere orbiting the sun?”

“This I know.”

“Zork is a traveller through the ‘endless night’[3].  His ship crashed here.  Zork survived.  His kind is called Kur, Kurii in plural.  The Priest Kings consider them, and man, to be equivalent species neither better or worse than the other.  As long as Zork abides by the technology-averse rules, they will not harm him.”

Cadmus pauses

“I was at a loose end when I met Zork.  He tells me that there is a small colony of his kind in Torvaldsland.  He allowed me to accompany him on his journey.  I write what he tells me of him, his kind, his plans, whatever he wishes to tell me.”

“Administrator!”

“Yes, Torm?”

“These writings could be of immense value.  Caste Brother, would you consent to your writings being copied?”

Cadmus looks over at Zork.  Zork nods, knowing that to men, this signifies assent.

“Very well, Torm, on the following conditions.  You will treat my scrolls with care.  You will not damage them or destroy them.  You will return them to me when I leave.  I anticipate staying for not much more than ten days.  I have been writing them for more than a year now.  Do you have enough junior scribes to copy them in that time?”

“Yes, I think so.”

“Administrator?  Then that’s agreed.”

The Guard-Captain interjects.

“Administrator!  We should kill them now, or harry them from our lands.  The monster is dangerous. Look at his claws and fangs.  It’s in the best interests of the city.”

“When you have been elected to the position of Administrator, Gristo, then and only then will you be able to decide what’s in the best interests of the city!”

I note the look of fury at such a public rebuke on the face of this Gristo.  Clearly there is political in-fighting going on here.

“Cadmus.  Whilst I am inclined to grant you leave to stay, I am still concerned about Zork.  What does he eat?  Can you afford to keep him and your party fed?  Zork too, will need to be watched at all times lest he become a danger.”

“We have coin, Administrator.  Zork’s diet is almost wholly meat.  He cannot digest grain or vegetables.  We will pay for whatever meat Zork eats.  Zork’s kind does consider humankind to be a suitable food source…”

The Administrator bridles, and the cohort of spearmen ready to attack.

“...but if he gives his word, everyone in the city and surrounding lands will be safe from him.  Zork, do you give your word not to eat human meat until we are more than forty pasangs[4] from here?”

This is the first time that Zork has spoken directly.

“I give my word not to eat human until well away from this place; forty pasangs.  Also can be useful. Can lift rocks, carry rocks, speed building of gate.”

  The flatness of sound from his translator lacks emotional shading, but Zork has spoken.  He means it. Administrator Cabot nods his acceptance of Zork’s word.

“And the other member of your party, Cadmus?”

“ Clystemous, please answer any questions the Administrator asks.”

“Sure, Cadmus!”

“What’s your story, Clystemous?” 

“I was a physician in Ar.  I was studying the dreaded Dar-Kosis disease, trying to eradicate it.  The Initiates considered such to be blasphemous and had me exiled.  I wandered for a couple of years.  I was captured and enslaved by river pirates.  Zork and Cadmus freed me.  As a result of being enslaved, I now have no city and cannot claim caste status, unless I regain such by new application for such.  My skills are still good, but I cannot practice them officially.”

“Very good.  While you are here, you will work as a medic?”

“Yes, Administrator.”

“Then, I must formally ask you Grunthon, Cadmus, and Clystemous, Do you all formally stand Guarantor for the behaviour of Zork; accepting death if he kills or injures anyone while in the city?”

All three of us swear ourselves to this bargain.  We owe Zork!  If he hadn’t saved us from the river pirates, we’d still be drawing oars on the river!

“Brandon told me that Zork has a giant axe.  This must be turned over to our military.  It will be returned when Zork leaves the city.”

“Welcome then.  Torm, find the party quarters.”

“Will do, Administrator.”

“Oh, just one more thing, Cadmus.  Would you be willing to sell your slave to the city?  We’ll give you a good price!”

“I’m sorry, Administrator.  I’m rather fond of the girl.”

I see that Kiki is quite ecstatic when she hears Cadmus’ response.”

“Pity!  As  a city, we don’t yet have enough women slave or free to rebuild our population.  All city slaves are given the releaser, making them fertile again.  We have a three stage plan giving graduated freedoms to the slaves when they bear children.  When a slave has born three children, she becomes a free woman again.  Whilst it’s not her decision, I wonder if your girl would appreciate the chance to be free…”

It isn’t Kiki’s choice, but Cadmus does look down into the eyes of the kneeling slave.  I see Kiki gently shaking her head.  I wonder about that.  Is it Kiki’s barbarian upbringing that would have her reject such a wondrous gift.  It’s Cadmus’ turn to have an ecstatic look on his face.

“Sorry Administrator, I really don’t think that Kiki would take well to freedom.  She truly is at heart nothing but a slave.  It would be cruel to free her!”

 

Narrative of Clystemous

 

The weather is clement at this time of year in Ko-Ro-Ba.  Having travelled much with Zork, and there being no suitable building that Zork can easily enter or leave, let alone reside in, all of us decide to camp on a piece of rough ground designated to become a public park at some point in the future.  There are watching guards at all times, with runners handy to call for reinforcements if there is trouble from us.

During the day each of us has been about our labours.  Cadmus has been helping Torm and his scribes in copying Cadmus’ scrolls.  Grunthon labours in one of the forges making spear-heads.  Each morning Zork presents himself to the foreman overseeing the construction of the gate.  I hear the flat query from his translator box.

“What you want me to do today?  Lift stone high?  Move stone?  From where to where?”

I continue on to the small shop that serves as a first-aid point.  On any construction site, especially one that’s city-wide, there are always injuries, mostly minor ones.



In the three days since we arrived, I’ve been amazed at the speed the gatehouse is being constructed. It wouldn’t have surprised me if in that time, a normal week’s work hasn’t been eclipsed, thanks to Zork.

In the evenings Grunthon, Cadmus, and I go to a paga Tavern, sampling several.  Zork’s kind, it seems cannot drink alcohol.  Kiki is fastened to one of the wheels of our wagon by a long chain, so that she can attend to whatever needs Zork has.  A paga tavern is not necessarily a particularly safe place for a slave who is not owned by the management.  We’d have to keep our eye on her at all times.  That’s not always possible.

At the end of the evening all three of us stagger back to the wagon, somewhat the worse for wear. We settle down quickly and are fast asleep almost instantly.

 

I am kicked awake.  It’s early dawn.  There are warriors holding spears at my throat.  I look around.  Grunthon and Cadmus are similarly invested.  Perhaps twenty soldiers threaten Zork.

“I knew it was not a good idea letting you sleen into the city!”

Guard Captain Gristo stands splay legged, towering above us, his hand on the pommel of his sword.  Cadmus expostulates.

“What the fuck!”

I want to say much the same but my comment is redundant now.

“Leave you a minute and the killing starts…”

“What killing!?”

A tousled Administrator Cabot arrives, clearly dragged from his own bed.  An equally dishevelled Torm in tow.

“Explain please, Gristo!”

“The body of a kajira has been found nearby.  It has signs that the beast has eaten some of her.”

There are sounds of shock and horror rustling through the gathered soldiery.  Kiki forgets her place.

“But Masters, Zork has not left the camp at all since…”

Cadmus shuts her up.

“Kiki!  Say nothing more at present.  Your testimony will be taken if it is needed.  Hopefully it will not.  The testimony of a slave is carried out under torture.  You do not want that!”

Kiki moans.

“Report please, Gristo.”

“Certainly, Administrator.  Two vigiles[5] came upon the body of a kajira about half an hour ago.  Her body showed signs of having been eaten by a beast.  The vigiles came to me.  I called the guard out and secured the prisoners.”

“There must be some mistake…  Administrator…!”

The eyes of the Administrator are hard as flint.

“Zork!  Have you eaten this night?  Tell true!”

“I have not.  I had no food since bosk haunch yesterday.”

I have an idea.

“Administrator, we should all see the body.  There should also be a physician to examine the wounds In detail.  Kiki, in the wagon there’s a wide thin sheet of soft wood.  Bring it.”

Under the spears of the guardsmen, we are led to the alley where the woman’s body still lies.

“Kiki, give the wood to Zork.  Zork, please bite into the wood.  Bite hard enough that your teeth marks show clearly in the wood.”

Zork looks at me with what I take to be curiosity.  He does however comply.  I take the wood from Zork and give it to the physician.

“Physician, please measure the radius of the bite.”

He does so.  He understands why I have requested this, but I need to spell it out for the Administrator and this Gristo.

“Now examine the wounds on the woman.  Measure the bite radius, please.”

The Administrator asks

“What is the purpose of this?  What will it prove?”

I do not answer, the physician is ahead of me.

“Irrespective of how deep a bite is, its radius is constant.  If the marks on the woman match those on the wood, it will prove that the monster ate this woman, or otherwise.”

The physician crouches over the body of the woman, tape measure in hand.  He stands.

“The bites do not match!  The monster did not eat this woman.  The bite radius on the woman is much narrower.  I’d suggest that this woman was eaten by a large sleen.”

The Administrator ponders for a few seconds.

“There are no wild or loose sleen in the city.  We will go to the owners of all sleen held in the city and examine the bite radius of every animal.  We will soon know which animal did this, and why the owner let it free to do this!”

Gristo shuffles nervously.

“You have a sleen don’t you, Gristo?  We might as well start there.  Please lead us to the kennels where you keep it.  Guardsmen, please keep the prisoners here until we return.”

Gristo’s face becomes a snarl.  He draws his sword from its scabbard and raising it, leaps towards the Administrator.

The metal point of a spear rises out of the chest of Gristo like some kind of obscene mushroom, the guardsman immediately behind, now bereft of spear is surrounded and held at bay by his colleagues.  He speaks.

“He was going to kill the Administrator.  You all saw it!”

Indeed we did.  Administrator Cabot is breathing hard trying to get over the shock of the attack on him and his lucky escape.

“Good work, trooper!  Men, let him stand free.  The prisoners are exonerated.  Guards release them.”

He comes up to us.

“I’m sorry, Zork, that Gristo sought to incriminate you.  However, lest there be any similar attempts, you should leave as soon as practicable.  I’d like you and your party gone by this time tomorrow.  I know that this can be seen as being rude, but I’m sure you see the necessity.”

Whether Zork does or does not, I do, as does Cadmus.  Grunthon raises his voice.

“Administrator, I still wish to stay.  My heart has always been with Ko-Ro-Ba.  It is my city!”

I am saddened.  In the short time that I have known Grunthon, I have come to like him lots, respect him muchly, and even in a brotherly way, love him.  The feelings of Cadmus and Kiki must be worse since they’ve known him longer than I.  Even Zork looks doleful.  I think that we all understand though.  One’s home-stone is one’s home-stone.  It is one’s heart.  Even Kiki understands.  She utters some words in her barbarous barbarian language, before translating them for us.

“My Country, right of wrong!”

The Administrator by way of apology orders

“Torm, see to the re-supply of their wagon.  Charge it to the city, and ensure that any costs they incur in the paga taverns tonight are met similarly.  I’m sure that the humans at least will want to make their farewells.”

“Thank you, Administrator!”

 

An equally bleary-eyed Grunthon awaits us at the now almost completed gate.  Even Kiki had been allowed to join us, and was granted a measure or two of ka-la-na wine.  There are tears in his eyes, but then my own don’t seem that dry either.

Zork turns to him.

“You good man, Grunthon.  You keep safe.”

“And you too Zork!”

The rest of us had said all we needed to last night.  Two troopers struggle carrying Zork’s axe, laying it at his feet.  Zork picks it up effortlessly.  There’s nothing left to be said.

We exit the city heading slightly north of west towards the foothills of a low mountain range.  On the other side of the range and at the far end lies the city of Piedmont.  From there it’ll be a case of finding somewhere to cross the Laurius River and enter the Northern Forests.  I’ve seen Cadmus’ map.  I hope we can find somewhere to cross before the town of Laura, as that’s going a good way out of our way.



[1]              Equivalent to a marriage, but must be renewed every year to remain valid.

[2]              In Gorean, the same word is used for stranger, and enemy.

[3]              Outer Space

[4]              About 28 Earth miles

[5]              Vigiles Urbani “Watchmen of the City”, effectively Policemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Schedule and Contributions

 (edited September 27th, 2026) . Stories tie back to Stories on EmmaOfGor.Blogspot.com in particular Steel Worlds Inc by Emma of Gor and ...