Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Zork (1 and 2) by Peony D Beckside

 

Zork
Peony D Beckside

 

In appreciation of, and with thanks to John Norman for creating the wonderful world of Gor, in which this story is set.

 

Chapter One: Introduction

 


(Cover illustration from Marauders of Gor, Tarl Cabot encounters a Kur)

My name is Zork.  I am what you puny ones call a Kur, Kurii in plural.  Actually my name is longer than that, and much more meaningful.  You puny ones however cannot pronounce my full name, your vocal cords and lineaments of your mouths make it impossible.  Zork then will have to do.

I did think that I should eat the blue-coated puny one that travelled with me from the village.  Yes, I gave my word, to him, but he’s just a puny one.  Is one’s word to a bosk, a sleen, a tarsk, a verr, valid?  Why did I hesitate?  I think that it was because he showed no fear, unlike the rest of the villagers.  Unlike too, the red coated ones, the ones that carry weapons.  That spoke to me of courage.  I was curious about him, perhaps as curious as he seemed to be about me.  Yes, the blue-coated one is what I take to be a male of the puny ones; a lesser male, not as powerful as a red-coated one; but in his community valued as much.

The blue-coated one says that his name is Cadmus.  Simple, straightforward, direct.  Among the puny ones, complexity of name doesn’t seem to carry with it connotations of power or value.

The function of this Cadmus, indeed apparently all blue-coated puny ones, seems to revolve round adding marks to scrolls of paper or vellum, and interpreting similar marks already there.  Why this should be important I cannot quite understand.

I am on a journey.  Before leaving the Steel Worlds, I had heard that there is a group of my kind forming in the North-East of the main landmass of the planet; in a place the puny ones call Torvaldsland.  I would join them.  Whether they can help me get back to the Steel Worlds or not, is unimportant.  It will be good to be among my own kind once again.  It will be a long journey.

Cadmus, for his own reasons has made it clear that he would accompany me, if I have no objections. I for my part would welcome some company, even if it is just a puny one.  Besides, since this world seems to be full of puny ones, there might be circumstances where this puny one can better handle a situation that my kind of response might exacerbate.

I hunt, Cadmus cooks and ensures that our camping places are safe and as comfortable as possible. The best eating seems to be the four-legged, one horned, prancing beast; Cadmus calls it a ‘tabuk’.  He will not cook or eat one of the puny ones.  Indeed he seems upset if I bring in the body of one such.  He tells me that it’s wrong to eat puny ones, that it’s dishonourable to do so.  I can’t quite see the dishonour in eating puny ones, really.  As a Kur, I can eat almost any animal.  The part vegetable diet that puny ones seem to eat, whilst not poisonous to us, does not provide us with any nutrients, nor is it pleasing to eat.

If tabuk or other game is not available then hunting puny ones becomes necessary.  The female ones are preferable.  The meat is softer and sweeter.  They are easier to catch than the males.  They freeze in terror whereas the males often try to fight back.  I prefer the females that wear the skimpiest coats, though I have to be careful not to break my teeth on the metal band around their throats.  Why they have a metal band round their throats, I can’t yet understand.  The other females all seem to wear a ridiculous number of coats. It takes forever to tear the coats away so as to get at the meat.  Cadmus however would rather go hungry than eat another puny one.

I don’t really need to stop as the sun goes down.  As a Kur, my senses are just as sharp at night as during the day.  Even a Kur needs rest from time to time.  It’s as easy to fall into the diurnal routine that puny ones seem to need.

In the evenings after eating, Cadmus gets out paper and marking sticks.  I talk, Cadmus listening to the output from my translation device draws marks representing what I am saying, onto the paper, at least until the light fades too much for him to be able to do that..  For his point of view, he seems to want to record everything about me and my journey, or at least as much as I am prepared to tell him.  From my perspective, I recognise that there’s a strong probability that I won’t make it to Torvaldsland.  I would not want my story lost with a pointless death somewhere in the middle of this barbarous planet.  Even if it has to be translated from the scrawlings of the puny ones, on the paper marked by Cadmus.  At least if the worst comes to the worst, there will be a record.  One day when we have conquered this planet, one of my kind will know of me, and of what happened to me.

I have told Cadmus that I will speak.  He will write what he hears from my translation device, verbatim.  Thus it is as if it were I who had marked the paper myself.  He also understands that I will speak in the present, telling past events as happening now, until my story catches up with the present.

My story begins now:

 

Chapter Two: Arrival On A Barbarous World

 


(Zork the Kur encounters Cadmus the Scribe while an unimportant animal looks on)

I am the supervisor of the Kur general cargo space vessel ‘Gold Fang’, en-route from the other world of puny ones, the one with the dirty air, the huge sprawling settlements, the flying and crawling machines, to this present world.  The puny ones call it Gor, short for Tor-tu-gor, ‘light on the home-stone’.  We have a cargo of anaesthetised female puny ones.  Our agents on Gor sell them to fund their activities on our behalf. There are other items, even some that are considered on Gor as forbidden.  Some puny ones are prepared to risk our enemies, the Priest Kings, finding out; death to the user then being inevitable.

No matter how careful we are in our approach, the surveillance of the Priest Kings is extremely vigilant.  In order to avoid being seen, we find it necessary on this occasion to put down some ten pasangs short of our intended landing site, as distances are measured here on Gor.  I decide that we will wait for a couple of Ahn before moving off towards the original meeting point with our agents.

Needing to defecate, I disembark and head for a nearby copse of trees.  Yes, we Kur do need to urinate and defecate too.  I do not need the trees out of modesty, but do not want to leave obvious signs of our passing here in the open.  The puny ones have trained the six-legged animals they call sleen to track any enemy, or one of their females, even us.  These sleen are indefatigable, and even though we fly on to the rendezvous, they might be capable of casting around and picking up my trail at that point.

I have just finished my business, when I hear a shearing, slicing sound and the screams of the puny one crew of the ship.  I see a Priest King ship dissecting my ship with a beam that seems to evaporate the metal.  There’s nothing I can do, nothing that will not lose me my life.  I stay still where I am in the copse. The Priest King ship moves off, leaving me alone on the surface, with only my light ship-clothes.  Stupidly I’ve not picked up my weapons, deeming me not needing such for a simple bowel evacuation.

I take stock of my situation.  I can make my way to Torvaldsland.  Eating will not be a problem; I can hunt.  As I understand it, a stranded Kur will not be hunted by the Priest Kings as long as I abide by their anti-technology edicts.  If I don’t try to make or use a forbidden tool or weapon, I will be safe from them. Individual puny ones away from settlements won’t be a problem.  The red-coated ones can be surprisingly fast and could injure me, but given my superior speed, strength, bulk and increased sensitivity I doubt a single one could kill me.  More than one though could be dangerous.  Even I could not survive a meeting with an army!  As for the rest of the puny ones, simply growling at a smallish party would have them running away.  They will however, like a swarm of gitches[1] defend a village or other settlement fiercely. Even I might not survive that.

I know that this planet revolves to the east.  The sun therefore appearing to rise in the east and set in the west.  It doesn’t take long to ascertain which direction the sun is travelling to identify the cardinal navigation directions based on the polar axes.  Navigating by compass, even if I had one is not as easy as it seems since the magnetic pole is in the Sardar Mountains, the home of the Priest Kings.

I know not precisely where on the planet I am, but I think I am in the southern hemisphere.  That kind of menial task was handled by the ship’s puny ones, I considering this minutiae unimportant.  I wish now I had taken more notice.  No matter.  I shall move north and east, correcting direction as and when new information comes to me.  I know that there are no major south to north rivers on this landmass of the planet, though there are several, and very large ones, running generally east to west.  I shall have to find ways to cross these, as and when I come to them.

I have been loping gently on all four paws for three or four Gorean ahn when I begin to feel hungry. I’ve seen little by way of game.  There was a tabuk, but it was almost on the horizon.  From a nearby start-point, I can outrun a tabuk, but not one with this kind of a start.  No matter.

Here’s something!  It’s a puny one.  This one wears a red coat.  He, yes I’m sure it’s a ‘he’, is well-muscled.  He carries with him a small bag, various accoutrements attached to a leather belt, a sharply pointed stick and what looks like a (to him) long knife held in some kind of leather retainer hanging from the his belt.  This puny one is alert.  He knows that I am close by when I’m still several steps away, even though I approach from behind him.  He spins rapidly to face me, his sharp stick raised.  I rush at him.  He doesn’t flinch, run away, or cower before my bulk and speed.  Instead he leaps to attack me!  He is fast.  I only just manage to deflect the stick before it pierces me.  He pulls the long knife from its holder and approaches again, slashing.  He fights bravely and fiercely.  He even manages to scratch me with the knife before I am within the circle of effectiveness of his weapon.  My teeth close on his throat.  The taste of his blood awakens in me a kind of lustful remembrance of past fights.  I feel glad that I am alive, and that I have gained a victory, even a small one, given the size of the puny one.

I do not yet have the means to make a fire, so as to cook the puny one.  I eat him raw.  His meat is not that pleasant, tough and stringy, but needs must.

I examine the puny one’s weapons and other belongings.  I see no use for the cloth that the puny one had wrapped himself in.  In his bag I find a small metal box.  Inside it is a lint-like substance, a piece of rock and a small metal rod.  I think this is some kind of fire-making apparatus.  I don’t know if with my digits, I can use this.  I will study it later.  I slip the box into a pocket in my shipsuit.

In one of the belt pouches I find several small disks of metal.  These I believe are ‘coins’, a way of transferring the value of one’s work to another location, allowing the obtaining of necessities and luxuries when away from where such have been earned.  I see no immediate use for them, but perhaps later in my journey I might.  I add these to another shipsuit pocket.

The warrior’s long knife, in my hand is little more than something the puny one’s would use to peel and cut the vegetable substances they pull from beneath the ground.  Still, even a small knife is better than no knife at all.  The sharp stick again is rather small in my hand, something akin to what the puny one women use in the making and care of cloth garments.  I take both, as I move on.

Several days later I am in an area where there seems to be very little by way of game.  I am becoming quite hungry.

I almost stumble onto a place.  A puny-one site with several angular habitations.  That I do not smell this place is purely down to the fact that the wind is coming from behind me.  Why the puny one’s of this place don’t therefore smell me, I don’t know.  Perhaps, like I’d learned while journeying in the space vessel, the olfactory equipment of puny ones is nothing like as efficient as mine.

They have seen me; heard me, or smelt me.  A sizeable group of male puny one’s are gathering.  Many carry farm implements, others sharp sticks similar to mine.  Others have long knives similar to the one I ‘liberated’ from the slain and eaten warrior.  Whether they know how to use them, more than I do, is another matter. Behind them there are several female puny ones.  I smell the fear in the members of this group, particularly that of the females.  Some of the females wail and even scream.  What that’s intended to do I don’t really understand.  I turn up the input sensitivity of my translator box, to try and gauge from what’s said what the intention of the group is.  Are they going to attack me, or simply hope that by a show of force I’ll be driven away.

I hear one voice from among them, it comes from the blue coated one.

“Wait!  This is no ordinary beast!  Look it wears clothes.  It carries weapons.  What bosk, tharlarion or kaiila does that?  We have to consider that this beast is intelligent!”

I don’t know if I’m offended by that comment.  Of course I’m intelligent.  More intelligent, I’m sure than these puny ones.  That most except the blue coated ones think me nothing more than a dumb animal is insulting!  At least the blue coated one is ‘giving me the benefit of the doubt’.

“I will go and see if I can figure out what it wants.”

It!  Is that how they see me?  A mere thing?

I hear other comments from the crowd.  ‘He’ll get himself killed!’  ‘Stupid fool’, even ‘Good riddance, what do we need a scribe for anyway!’

The blue coated one walks towards me.  He has no smell of fear.  Among his kind I think he is brave, perhaps as brave as the red coated one.  More-so maybe since he has no weapons, and by his standards I am one big potential threat.

“I think that you are no ordinary beast, friend.  I don’t know if you can understand me.  If you can, I would speak with you…”

I speak, the translator device giving out a series of noises that equate to what I wish to say, in the words that this puny one will understand.  The translator is limited in its vocabulary, grammar, and doesn’t give much by way of nuances, but it does have the ability to store new terms and idioms, effectively to ‘learn’.

“How do you know that I won’t eat you?”

He stares at the translator, nodding his head.  I think it’s a sign he’s understanding the purpose of the device.  He responds

“I don’t, but were you a mere beast you would already be eating me…”

I laugh.  My laugh is not like a human one.  I sense that the rest of the puny ones are even more frightened. This one gives off a series of rhythmic sounds that the translator cannot recognise.  It doesn’t sound like the whining that some of the puny ones are giving off.  The outer part of his mouth curl upwards, his teeth just showing.  I tentatively decide that he is laughing along with me.

“My name is Cadmus.  Do you have a name I may call you?”

“You may call me Zorksprinrtovnickan.”

He tries to repeat, but it’s clear he’s having trouble pronouncing my name.

“May I call you Zork, for short?”

“You may.”

“Thank you, Zork.”

My translator can give me no equivalent to the words ‘Thank you’.  I take it to be some form of appreciation.

“Why have you come here, Zork?”

“The hunting has been poor.  I am hungry.  This is a place of cattle, even if they are the two-legged variety.”

This ‘Cadmus’ shrinks back.

“Cattle?  Is that how you see us, as mere food animals?  We are intelligent.  We are not unthinking, unreasoning beasts!  If you want food, we can give you grain, root vegetables, suls, etc.”

“My kind cannot digest vegetable matter, we must have meat.  I do not require much, one of your smaller number, a female would do.  The ones with a metal band round their neck are easier to unwrap.  Female puny-one meat is sweeter then male.”

Despite his apparent shock that we Kurii eat human flesh, he gives the rhythmic sound that I think is laughing.

“I’ll give your request to the villagers, but I think I know what they will say.  They are rather fond of their kajirae!”

Cadmus wanders back to the increasing crowd.  I listen in on what’s being said.

“His name is Zork.  At least I think he is a male of his species.  He is hungry.  The difficulty is that his kind is unable to eat grain or other vegetable matter.  He needs meat.  Unfortunately his kind doesn’t see humans as being different to bosk, tarsks, verr, etc.  He requests that you…”

Interesting that he uses the word ‘you’, not ‘we’, as if somehow he is not part of this ‘herd’.

“...give him one of you, ideally a female, a kajira.”

There is much grumbling and anger.  Shouts of ‘Let us rush him, chase him away’.  At the back I hear the shrill voice of one of the females, a multi-wrapped one.

“Yes!  Give him what he wants.  Give him a slave-girl.  We don’t need all of the sluts!  Give him that she-sleen ‘Andrea’.

There seems to be some kind of antipathy between the heavily swathed females and the lightly garbed ones. A deeper male voice, one who I sense has some authority in this group of cattle,  silences this female.

“Silence Glynnia!”

He pauses to think.

“Our kajirae are not cattle, as we are not.  We will not give up one of our number, not even a kajira…”

I tense ready in case they decide to attack.  Nor will I leave here without food.

“…Do you think that if we give it a tarsk that will satisfy it?”

“I’ll ask...”

From behind this apparent leader, another calls.

“How do we know it will leave if we give it what it wants as food?  How do we know we can trust it?”

“Good point.  Cadmus?”

“I’ll take your proposal and see what Zork says.”

Cadmus returns.

“They…”

“It’s fine, Cadmus.  I heard what they propose.  Make it two tarsks, one roasted to eat now, one butchered, salted, and ready to go, and they have a deal.”

“You will leave then?  You have a sense of honour.  You hold to a code, where when you say you will do something, you do it?  You don’t lie?”

“From what I have observed of you puny ones, I suspect that the honour of my kind is stronger and more binding than that of your species.  I will honour my word.  I will leave this place after eating.”

“Never to return?”

“Never to return.”

“I will carry your terms to the village head-man.”

“You will join me in feasting on roast tarsk?”

“Why thank you, Zork!  Yes.  I would know more about you and your kind!”

“Likewise, Cadmus.  I shall wait here.  If the puny one’s would bring the two tarsks to that rock over there, I will join you there, then.”

“Until later, then Zork!”

Cadmus departs to discuss my offer.  I listen in.  This head-man grumbles, but agrees.  He gives orders to several men, and also to some of the lightly clad females.  The females, while still cautious, are no longer terrified that they might be fed to me.



[1]     Flying insect with a nasty bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Schedule and Contributions

 (edited August 11th, 2026) . Stories tie back to Stories on EmmaOfGor.Blogspot.com in particular Steel Worlds Inc by Emma of Gor and Ba...