51. Theft
I met with Atticus after a morning of training with the guardsmen. I was exhausted after another long grueling session of using the shield and learning to move as a group in a shield wall, pushing against an opposing group of men. The opposing group did not have shields, and all of us took turns being in the opposing group, simulating an angry aggressive mob. Once coordinated, the group with shields, stepping in sync, imposed their will on the opposing group, pushing them steadily back. Atticus told me not all of my mornings would be drilling and sparring; that I would soon be assigned to a squad and assist with foot patrols in the city.
It had been two days since I had seen Mirus in the lumberyard. On my way home I had looked for another room to rent but did not find one until yesterday. This afternoon I planned to move Mena and my things into this new room.
“Niketas told me he is disturbed that Mirus has not reported the scrolls to the city. He mentioned wanting you to go see Mirus and ask about them, having you feign concerns about your safety and express curiosity about whether Mirus has learned of any of the members of the spy ring.” I did not say anything as the thought of asking Mirus about the scrolls was the last thing I wanted to do.
I left and wandered about, thinking while I searched for another tavern with a room to rent. I really liked Tickling Curlies, with the baths, but I had a feeling that I should move frequently, staying ahead of any efforts from the spy group to locate me. Knowing that I was being tailed by guardsmen was comforting, but keeping the location of my residence secret seemed the safest easiest thing that I could control.
I was tired and was not looking forward to moving. I hoped that I could find a cart for hire and be able to make the move in one trip. I was hungry but instead of stopping for lunch I found a street vendor selling skewers of hot roasted tarsk; I ate while I walked. I also bought some pastries for later, maybe even one for Mena if she didn’t ask too many questions.
I went upstairs to my room and put the key in to unlock the door, only to find that it was not locked. I drew my sword and entered the suite slowly. Mena was not here, my heart began to race. The place was a mess, items strewn about and tossed to the floor. Mena was not here! I remembered discussing with her the importance of never opening the door, no matter who it was on the other side, that the only person who could enter was me, by using the key.
I noticed my strongbox was broken, the lid splintered and the hinges destroyed. I rushed to my secret stash spot, where my gold coins and gemstones were stored. I had looked for such a spot after Niketas’s men had come for Mena and gone through my possessions. It was very honorable of him to have returned all of my wealth, but it made me think of finding a safer location for my gemstones and gold coins. I had decided against keeping these valuables in the strongbox as that it seemed too obvious and the container could be breached with the right tools and enough time.
The stash spot had been found and all of my gold coins and gems taken! Not long after I had exchanged gemstones for gold, and after I had tried to use silver to purchase Penny, I had developed an affinity for gold, its value on this planet far exceeding its value on Earth. This affinity grew stronger with me the more I fully understood the amount of wealth I possessed with the numerous gold coins I had obtained from the gems and the tarn racing wagers. I acquired the habit of keeping a gold coin in my pocket, enjoying the feeling of carrying such a large amount of wealth, condensed into such a small bit of metal. Having this coin literally at my fingertips was something that assured me, helping me to maintain confidence knowing that anywhere I went, the gold I had would be respected. And now this one golden tarn and a dozen silver tarsks were all that I had. I thought I had been very careful not to reveal the location of the stash to Mena. I wondered now if Mena had opened the door to someone, and if they had taken her and everything else. Who had come?
I was paralyzed with indecision; I didn’t know what to do. My money was gone! I had a strong thirst for paga, that I resisted, knowing that I needed all of my wits about me. Mena was gone! Where was she and who had my money? I sat on the edge of the couch, looked at the furs and then the ever present mounted slave ring. I was devastated, swirling with feelings of sadness, loss, rage and regret. Fear started to creep into this maddening swirl of thoughts as I contemplated the possibility that whoever had come to the room might return.
I thought of sheathing my sword as my right hand began to grow weary from its tight grip on the hilt. But I did not sheath it, opting for departure. I walked out of the suite and left the building where I finally returned the gladius to its sheath, which I hung over my shoulder for ready access. I went for a walk, a wander.
***
“It appears that the spy ring has found your residence. Who knew that you were staying there?” Niketas asked.
“You and Atticus, Mirus too.”
“You are lucky that they were not waiting for you inside your room,” Niketas said. I didn’t feel lucky, but I knew he was right, and now I wondered why whoever it was that had gained entry to my suite had not simply waited for my return.
“I want you to go see Mirus and tell him what has happened. You will need to recall his reaction and words when you report back to me. Come back here afterwards, no matter what ahn it is,” he said.
***
“Tal Rykart, what brings you to my home this evening?” Mirus said.
“Someone came to my room at Tickling Curlies, and took everything while I was out. Mena is gone. All of my gold and gemstones are gone.”
“That is very disturbing. I am sorry to hear that. Your gemstones are very valuable and their loss, along with the gold, will change things for you. The room was empty? Odd that no one was waiting for you,” he said.
“Do you think it was spies?” I asked.
“Yes, very likely, but it doesn’t make sense that they would not have waited for you, capturing you for interrogation.”
“Did Ubar’s people tell you anything about spies? Who they might be; how many there are?” I asked.
“Ubar’s people? What Ubar’s people?” he replied.
“The people you gave scrolls to. You said you were going to figure out best way to get them to Ubar.”
“Yes, I gave the scrolls to the Magistrate. Julian has not told me anything about them or who may have produced them. I don’t expect him to tell me anything. Spy business is very secretive and I am not part of the government,” he answered.
“I am going to move, stay in new place. I know you were helping with that, but now is not time to move into place for long term.”
“Have you found a new place?”
“No,” I lied. I was wary about telling anyone about the location of the new place, even Mirus.
“I want to help Rykart, and your financial situation is different now. I want you to stay we me, in my home. You will have one of the guest rooms and I will assign Lina to see to your needs. Stay with me until things settle down and you find stability. All I ask is that in return, you go back to work at the lumberyard. You will be paid as a carpenter. You can still ride tarns with Trem sometimes and we will figure out something to tell him. What do you think?”
I was overwhelmed by his generous offer. Mirus’s manor was amazing. The loss of Mena hurt and I was still processing it, but the thought of having Lina, the beautiful blonde ‘assigned’ to me was irresistible. I couldn’t refuse this offer, but I wasn’t sure about what Niketas would want me to do.
“Yes Mirus, you are very generous and your home is amazing. Should I bring my things over in the morning?”
“That can wait, let’s have a swim, some ka-la-na and a nice rub down to help you relax and put your mind at ease. I will have Fen help you in the morning to retrieve your things. I don’t imagine you have much to move?”
“That sounds great, but I not stay now,” I said thinking about Niketas instructions to report back to him tonight.
“Oh, why can’t you stay?”
“I have not eaten and there is something in my room that I must get.”
“I’m sure Lenta can prepare some bread and cheese for you. The thing in your room can’t wait?”
“When I went into room, I was in shock from Mena missing, and everything else. I forgot to see if my papers were missing too.”
“What papers?”
“Papers that allow me to stay in city; I need them.”
“Yes, those papers are important. Go see if they are still there. But come back soon, you should not stay another night in that room, it is not safe. And do not tell anyone what has happened yet. I will have Tereus go with you in case the spies return while you are there.”
“No Sir, please, Tereus does not like me. He makes me nervous.”
“Ha, I don’t know if Tereus likes anyone. But he doesn’t have to like you; he just has to protect you. I insist. Tereus will go with you and when you come back there will be something for you to eat. And then we will have a swim. Swimming, ka-la-na and kajirae are the perfect treatment for your current condition and I am your physician. See you soon, and keep your sword at the ready.”


No comments:
Post a Comment