Zork
Peony D Beckside
In appreciation of, and with thanks to John Norman for
creating the wonderful world of Gor, in which this story is set.
Illustration by Arizona
Wanderer
Chapter Eight: A Boat Of Our Own
At
Holmesk. a town on a significant tributary of the Vosk, I hold back. Grunthon, Kiki and Cadmus enter the
town. They return with what appears to
be good news. There’s a sturdy boat for
sale. They think that they can sell the
wagon and tharlarion and still have enough coin to stock up on supplies. It will however call for the two of them, and
Kiki to have to walk again from the point where we decide to depart from the
far side of the Vosk river.
They tell me that the boat will be quite cramped. There will be little room to spare, given my
size. The boat however is small enough to be portaged if necessary. It will be necessary for all three of the
puny ones to paddle the craft as my paw will be too big to grasp a paddle. They seem willing to do that. I for my part will theoretically have a lazy
voyage.
While they’ve been in the town investigating onward
travel options, I’ve been reconnoitring the surrounding countryside.
“There’s a small shingle
beach about eight pasangs north of the town on this the western bank of the
river. I wait there for you.”
“Very good, Zork. It’ll take a couple of days to finalise
matters here in Holmesk, and ‘store’ the boat
for the journey.”
“I will be waiting.”
True
to their word, the puny ones arrive as it is getting dark on the second
day. We camp the night at that spot.
Grunthon is using Kiki for his pleasure, Cadmus
considering it rude to deny his friend this boon. Kiki it would seem appreciates
the attention given her, or at least that’s how I interpret her moans. For such a small puny one, she’s very vocal
in such situations. Eventually the two
of them subside. I sleep. Even in my sleep, a part of my mind is alert
for danger. This is I believe a survival
adaptation. I’m rarely consciously aware
of it.
In the morning, as the puny ones rouse and consume their
hideous vegetable matter, I catch a small wild boar. I can’t be bothered getting the puny ones to cook
it; I want to get moving on the river, as soon as possible.
The boat is barely wide enough to contain my rear
end. I sit at the back of the
vessel. There is little freeboard
spare. We must be very careful of rough
water. Fortunately the river flow is
gentle at this point.
The passage of the day is pleasant enough and the scenery
pleasing, but by the end of the first day I begin to become bored. Also I find the slowness of our passage
tedious.
“Grunthon, you come with me.”
I
remember that amongst puny ones, it is polite to add a word that has no
referent in my own language
“… please.”
I
sense his fear as I pick up my axe. I
laugh. Grunthon relaxes, he recognises
that the sound I make equates to the one his species denotes humour.
“I not kill you today, Grunthon! Got a job for you.”
We
wander from that night’s camp site. I
find a small tree that I believe will serve.
“I bored of doing
nothing in boat. You make, carve me a
paddle; Kur size paddle? This tree wide
and stubby enough?”
Grunthon
thinks.
“Sit by the tree, please, Zork.”
I
do so.
Using parts of his body as measuring devices, Grunthon
decides on suitable dimensions for the paddle.
With his knife he makes two nicks in the bark of the tree, one close to
the base and one at about my shoulder height.
“Yes, Zork, it’s possible. My tools are mostly suitable for working
metal, but I think I’ve something that’ll work.
I’ll need you to chop the tree twice, at each of the marks. That’ll give us the raw material. I might also need you to trim it some more to
get the basic shape. I can take it from
there. Working in the late afternoon and
evening when we stop to camp it might take two to three days.”
“Good, I chop tree, bring wood piece back to camp. Your food nearly ready, I think.”
This
tree is of a particularly solid and heavy wood.
It takes more blows with axe than expected to extract the marked
log. I like the heft of the log, as I
carry it back to the river bank. If
heavy timber, I decide to see if the loge will float. I don’t want the paddle to sink if I’m forced
to drop it. It floats better than
expected. I hand it to Grunthon to work
on it. He starts marking it where he’ll
have to start trimming away excess wood.
By the time it’s getting dark, he seems satisfied that he can start
shaping the log the following day.
We
are making good time! We have covered
more than twice as much distance in the last two days than we did in the first
four. That’s a function of the extra
thrust I’m giving the boat with the paddle Grunthon fashioned for me. The paddle is perfect. A joy in the paw. One knows when something is right, it becomes
as much a work of art as a functional object.
We are lucky to have Grunthon with us.
He has that quality of making just about anything, and it will have that
added extra touch.
Indeed, I seem to be doing all the work, or the majority
of it. Grunthon and Cadmus seeming only
to be keeping us on course. Kiki has
been instructed to lay her paddle down, her efforts disturbing the most
efficient regimen.
The puny female laughs with delight. She likes the air rushing through her long
hair.
“Why do you laugh,
Kiki?”
“The joy of the speed is
exhilarating, Master.”
Even
though I am not human, she still calls me Master. She is a slave, I, though of a different
species, am classed as a free-person.
“It’s like being in a speedboat!”
“What is ‘speedboat’?”
“In barbarian lands the word ‘boat’ means a craft that
goes on water. This…”
She
indicates the vessel we are in,
“… is then a ‘boat’.
‘Speed’ refers to the rate that someone or something travels. A ‘speedboat’ then is a boat designed to
travel very fast over water.”
“You speak barbarian,
Kiki? Are you from barbarian lands?”
Is
she originally from the slave world, the one with the foul air and crazy
people?
“Yes, Master, didn’t you know?”
“It not mentioned by Cadmus or Grunthon. They know?”
“Master Cadmus has not
talked to me about it, but I believe he knows.
I would be surprised if Master Grunthon didn’t know!”
Doubtless
though, they do now. The boat is small
enough that any conversation in it will be heard by all. Kiki seems worried.
“Does that matter,
Master?”
“Not to me; me just
curious. Not think Cadmus and Grunthon
bothered either.”
“Thank you, Master”
I
see her relax again.
I don’t think it’s important, she’s just a slave, a
menial. She keeps Cadmus and Grunthon
happy. Sometimes when I hear her rutting with one of the men, I feel
lonely. The sooner I am among my own
kind the better.
Slave Kiki’s narrative
I’m
aware of a low hissing sound. I see
ahead a mist. It’s midafternoon. The day is hot. Mists tend to be morning phenomena. It puzzles me.
“Masters? Why is there a mist ahead of us?”
Cadmus
looks up from his paddling.
“Shit! Pull for the shore, everyone, urgently. You too Kiki.
I
reach for my paddle. There’s something,
some warning, some danger implied in his voice.
“Waterfall!
Rapids, maybe.
That
explains it. We put everything we have
into paddling. Cadmus and Grunthon,
trying desperately to turn the boat shoreward.
There’s a small sandy beach. We
aim for it.
“Zork, when we ground on
the beach, you need to hold onto the boat so it doesn’t get pulled away by the
current. You’re stronger than us. We may not be able to hold it.”
“Got it, Cadmus.”
I
feel the soft scrape of sand under the keel.
Zork steps out into the shallow water, the boat almost tipping
over. He’s just in time, the stern of
the boat is swinging away downstream.
Zork and the men pull the boat further up the beach so that it is out of
danger of being carried away.
“That was close. Grunthon, reconnoitre the area. See if there’s a way round whatever the
problem is.”
Grunthon
returns shortly.
“Waterfall. Big one.
The boat would have been broken.
We’d have died if we’d gone over.
The good news is that there’s a path from this very beach past it. It’s clear that this is a frequently used
portage route. With Zork’s help we
should be able to get the boat round the falls pretty quickly.”
Zork
grunts his agreement.
Cadmus and Grunthon start unloading the boat of our
supplies. It’s soon empty. They load me up like a pack mule. I can hardly stagger, but there’s still a
fair number of items left on the beach.
Not least Zork’s mighty axe. I doubt
that I could even lift it an inch, but it’s academic. As a slave, it’s death for me if I ever so
much as touch a weapon.
“We’ll leave the
supplies here and come back for them. We
need to get the boat down first. How far
is it to calmer water, would you say, Grunthon?”
“A couple of pasangs[1], at a
guess, Cadmus.”
I
wonder if I can stagger that far, loaded as I am.
“Zork, if you can take
the stern of the boat, and bear most of the weight, Grunthon and I can probably
manage the bows.”
Zork
says nothing, he just grabs his half of the boat and lifts it as if it were
mere flotsam. Master and Grunthon
struggle, but get the front half onto their shoulders. The party moves off slowly, I following as
quickly as I can.
We pass between two large rocks. There is a flash of movement! Zork screeches loudly and drops the
boat. There is the sound of cracking wood. I look up at Zork. From his shoulder projects what I take to be
a crossbow bolt! He rushes past me back up
the path, knocking me to the ground. I’m
horrified, more than that saddened. Zork
hurt! I’ve come to like this dangerous,
but kind to me, beast. I recall how
terrified I’d been of him when I first came into contact with him. I am very worried for him. I don’t know how badly he is hurt. Has the bolt done internal damage that might
even kill him, as it might have a mere man?
We are surrounded now by a group of some eight men; at
least six of them wielding crossbows.
“Damn you Crixus. You were meant to shoot the beast in the
throat. More likely that’d have killed
it. Now it’s wounded. More dangerous than ever.”
“It’ll probably bleed to
death, Phorgo.”
“You’d better hope it
does. I doubt though that it’d want to
attack us, given our numbers.”
Phorgo
examines the boat.
“Pity! However we can probably use the timbers to
repair our own galley. Petiron, tomorrow
morning bring a chain of ten oar slaves and have them carry this boat down to
our beaching point, and to collect any supplies this sorry lot left at the top
beach”
I
see Cadmus and Grunthon look at one another, misery on their faces, at the
mention of ‘galley’ and ‘oar slaves’.
“Crixus, add these two
men to the slave chain. Hopefully
they’ll learn how to draw an oar quickly. I’m sure the lash will teach them.”
Phorgo
turns to me.
“This little vu lo can
help about camp, cooking, fetching water, etc. when she’s not keeping our beds
warm at night.”
Cadmus
calls out.
“Do whatever they tell
you Kiki, but remember that ultimately you belong to me.”
A
man strikes Cadmus in the face, knocking him to the ground. I start forward intending to help him but am
prevented from doing so by Phorgo.
“Let me help him please, Master…?”
“No. Follow the path down until you get to a
beached river-galley. Give your load to
the slave Hulia and beg her to put you about your duties. Don’t even think about disappearing into the
bush. Your death would not be pleasant!”
“Yes, Master.”
I
obey. My Master has given me an order. Obey this oaf of a man, Phorgo. Some half an hour later, I see Master and
Grunthon brought into camp, bound. I
watch surreptitiously as they are chained along with some twenty other
men. I do not see where the key to
chains of these men is kept; but I’d be surprised if I could. Gorean men are not careless in how they keep
and handle either male or female slaves.
It is night now.
Phorgo took me to his furs first.
Rank hath its privileges, I assume.
By comparison with Cadmus, or even Grunthon, he’s a tharlarion rather
than a panther; crude, rough, lacking in skill or finesse. He forced a surrender of sorts from me, but
it was painful and barely satisfying. We
lie together, he has not dismissed me. I
am ankle chained to a peg hammered into the ground. I think that he’s more worried than he lets
on. He has reason to be, I suspect. A wounded animal is twice as dangerous as one
that is not. Unless Zork has died from
his wound, I believe that he is likely to harry this group of river pirates.
After all, he doesn’t want to have to walk all the way to Torvaldsland, if he
can stay with the river, and that needs a boat.
The galley of these pirates is seriously damaged. It has several planks stove-in. Even cannibalising our boat might not be
adequate to fix it.
“Tell me about the
monster, kajira.”
“I’m not sure what there
is to tell, Master.”
I
continue, not wanting to be beaten for evasiveness.
“I believe that his
species is called ‘Kur’. I have no idea
as to where he comes from. I believe
that he’s travelling to Torvaldsland, where he thinks there is a colony of his
kind. He is not a mere beast. He is
intelligent. He is called Zork.”
“Is he dangerous?”
“Yes, Master. He can be very dangerous when roused.”
I
want to add ‘and you’ve pissed him off big-time’, but as a slave I can’t afford
my comments to be seen as criticism.
“To me, though I was
terrified of him at first, he is gentle and kind.”
“And what is it to the
two men you were with, and they to him.”
“Simple travelling
companions, I believe, Master.”
“Is it likely to simply
move on, or will it attack us?”
“I honestly know not,
Master.”
I
hope though that Zork will decimate these evil men, but I don’t tell this oaf
that. After all, of what value are the
hopes and wishes of a slave-girl? Men
only will do as they wish and I as kajira must accept the consequences of that.
There is a cry from outside the tarpaulin’d lean-to
that’s serving as a tent. Phorgo is out
of the sleeping-furs like a startled tabuk.
The cry has come from one of a couple of men sat around the camp fire.
“It just came flying
through the air, like a thrown stone…”
Even
chained as I am, by the firelight I can see Phorgo pick up a severed head.
“Phorgo, It’s Petiron!”
“I can see that,
Crixus! The head’s been neatly severed,
as if with one stroke of a sharp sword.
From what direction did it come?”
“You two, get weapons
and search in that direction.”
I
can tell that the two men are shocked and frightened, but they obey
Phorgo. He comes to me, clearly
annoyed. He cuffs me twice.
“The monster is
armed! What with?”
I
am not allowed to lie, and remaining silent may get me killed.
“He has an axe. A
large one, as big as a man.”
“And you chose not to tell me this?”
“It never occurred to
me, Master. I couldn’t carry it, it’s
too heavy. It was left at the beach with
our other stores while the boat was moved.
I didn’t know that Zork would go back to the beach to get it.”
“Stupid slave!”
He
cuffs me again.
“Yes, Master.”
The
first traces of the coming day are beginning to show. An hour and a half later, the two men sent
out return dragging the remains of a body.
The two men look rather nauseous.
“He’s been eaten,
Captain! You can see the teeth marks!”
Phorgo
too is visibly shaken. He thinks
quickly, calling all men in the camp together.
He details men to go out and join the remaining perimeter guards.
“From now on, no-one
leaves the camp alone. You go fully
armed in pairs.”
Ten
minutes later the man I believe is called Xagros returns carrying a second
crossbow.
“I can’t find Brangari
anywhere, boss! I found his crossbow
where he was supposed to be guarding!”
Panic
is clearly setting in. Work on fixing
the galley goes into fever pitch. I
sense that the chained oar slaves are being rather skittish. I hear Cadmus trying to reassure them,
advising that the ‘monster’ is an intelligent and honourable creature.
Half an hour later a man, Brangari, I assume, wanders
into the camp. He has a shocked, glazed
expression. His arm is badly gashed and
hangs uselessly at this side. He lurches
over to Phorgo.
“Captain, the monster
captured me. I thought I was dead. I felt its teeth at my throat. It released me and sent me with a message. It will parley. It has some kind of talking box, that
translates what it says to us and we to it.
You the leader, and another will immediately go to the edge of the small
clearing five ehn’s walk to the west.
You will also take the slave-girl, Kiki.
You will not take extra men. You
will not attempt an ambush. Failure to
comply will result in the deaths of all your men.”
“How do I know this
isn’t a trap?”
“You don’t,
Captain. I asked the monster that
question. It said that ‘If I wanted you
dead, you would already be dead’.”
Phorgo
thinks briefly.
“I will talk with it.
Where does it want to meet, and when?”
“At the beach above the falls. In two hours time.”
“Tell Crato I want him
armed and I want to see him. Loose
hobble, bracelet and leash this slave.”
“Why does it want you
along, kajira?”
“I know not,
Master. Doubtless that’ll become clear
in due course.”
The
hobble chain does not restrict me much.
I cannot run in it, but I can walk quickly. I need to take about two steps for each taken
by these big brawny men. We reach the
beach. All of the supplies Cadmus,
Grunthon and I had unloaded have gone.
Presumably down into the lower camp.
“Where is it then,
kajira?”
I’m
about to say that I don’t know, when I hear the slightly mechanical voice of
Zork’s communication device from behind.
The two men spin round, reaching for their weapons. Such stealth!
None of had seen it, heard it, or smelled it as we came up the path, and
now it’s behind us, cutting us off from the camp!
I see that the crossbow bolt is still in Zork’s shoulder,
and that dried blood stains his fur below the wound. He does not seem particularly impaired by it,
though I suspect he does still have some pain.
I am moved by compassion. Once I
had thought him evil, now I know him as kind, honourable, and cultured, within
the constraints of his biological needs.
I would go to him, bathe his wound, give what comfort I could, but bound
as I am, I cannot.
Zork speaks
“Commander, you and all
your men are dead-meat. My species has
the tracking ability of your sleen. I have memorised the scent of each and
every one of your men. I will gorge on
each and every one. You will be last, so you realise the full horror of what
awaits you…”
He
pauses.
“If you would stay the
execution of your men and yourself, you will listen and obey. Do as you are bid without tricks, and you may
yet survive.”
The
one called Crato is unimpressed.
“Screw you, monster!”
Faster
than I can believe, faster than Phorgo can draw his sword, Zork leaps forward
grabs Crato and retreats back to his original position. Crato screams as Zork lifts him up to his
mouth. The cry ceases as Zork bites into
Crato’s throat. Zork drops Crato’s body.
“I will eat the rest of
him later. Now you listen.”
Phorgo
seems to be in shock as to the speed and ferocity of Zork. He nods rapidly.
“Kiki, take note. Tell Cadmus and Grunthon what happened here,
what was said. Full details. Leave
nothing out.”
“Yes, Lord!”
Given
Zork’s power, even when wounded, I sense that the word ‘Master’ is no longer
adequate. Zork is beyond being just a
free-being, he’s a natural leader.
‘Lord’ is therefore much more appropriate.
“Phorgo, you will go
back to the camp. You will unchain all
of your slave captives…”
“Then they will kill
us!”
“Kiki, tell them that if
any of them attack Phorgo’s men, they too will become fresh meat for me.”
“The one called Cadmus
shall be in charge and his deputy will be Grunthon. Everyone, your men and the released ones will
work on fixing the big row-boat as soon as possible. Once it’s fixed, you, your men, and as many
of the released ones as wish will take the boat down the river into the bigger
river. At a port on the far side of that
river, you and your men will be given half a day’s start to go where you
will. The formerly chained slaves will
temporarily become the property of Cadmus.
Cadmus will legally manumit each of them. I and my party will leave the ship. The former slaves may then go where they wish
on the river.”
Phorgo
seems about to expostulate. Zork
reminds.
“It’s a question of just
how much you and your men wish to live.
Any attempt to betray this deal, attack me, or to run off into the bush
by any one of you, will doom the rest. Clear
on that?”
“I decide my own fate,
and as commander it is my right to decide that of my men, but given the manner
of their potential deaths, this I must talk over with them.”
“Agreed. If you choose to accept this proposal, you
will fly a yellow flag from the mast of the damaged ship, and carry out the
precepts of the agreement.”
“Kiki, You know you are
forbidden to lie. Lie, and I will eat
you.”
I
remember the first time I saw Zork he’d been eating my previous Master. I almost lose control of my bowels in fear.
“You will reassure this man that when I give my word, I
stick to it. My honour demands this of
me.”
I
turn to Phorgo.
“Master, what Lord Zork
says is true. Not once since I became
part of his travelling group have I seen him do anything contrary to what he
has agreed to. Punctiliously so.”
Phorgo
grunts. Zork reminds.
“Kiki, are you clear on
what you will tell Cadmus and the rest of the chained ones?”
“Yes, Lord!”
Phorgo
takes my leash and leads me back to the camp.
Zork takes Crato, his meal and silently disappears into the bush. I am sent to Cadmus as Phorgo calls all of
his men to council. I relate to him all
that happened, all that was said, repeating it to the whole group of chained
oar slaves, ensuring that they all understand that if Phorgo’s men agree to
unchain them, they will not attack their erstwhile captors. In the background I hear raised voices from
the river pirates. There’s a significant
section of them that are unhappy with the proposal. They wish to search out and fight Zork,
believing that with larger numbers they will succeed in killing him. After all, to a man, particularly one who
perhaps was once of the Warrior caste, surrender is anathema. Better to die in battle. When all have had their say, it’s clear that
the majority have decided to accept the offer.
Phorgo reminds all the men that they must stick to the terms of the
agreement, or Zork will see that as a betrayal and will kill and eat every one
of them. Taking a bolt of looted yellow
silk he cuts a suitable length off, ties it to a halyard and raises it to the
top of the mast. He comes over to me, a
key of some kind on a lanyard round his neck.
“You have told them the
terms under which they are to be freed?
They have all agreed to abide by those terms?”
There
is much grumbling and resentment among the chained oar-slaves. Some of them clearly would prefer to get
their hands on the men who had enslaved them.
“You! Cadmus?
You will be in charge of the camp and the repairs. Can you keep these men under control?”
“Yes. I believe that I can.”
“Be sure! It won’t be just my men that the monster will
eat!”
“I’m sure!”
“Here’s the key to the
chains. You are in charge now. The sooner we are moving downriver the
better. I for one don’t like being under
the threat of death, particularly one as hideous as that of Petiron and Crato!”
Cadmus
gets busy. He takes control of the
situation. I’m amazed at his mastery of
the situation. He’s a natural leader! I’ve always thought him a kind of
mild-mannered scholar, in Earth terms a ‘bookworm’. I’m seeing new qualities in him, I never
believed he had.
“Kiki, go onto the river
galley and see if you can find any medical supplies.”
I
set off to obey hearing behind me Master asking if any of the rowing slaves
that he’s unchaining, have any medical training, any of the skills of the
Physicians. I hear one man announce that
he’d once been of the physicians, before being enslaved. Clystemous, I believe he called himself.
I find a wooden box with a symbol on the lid. The symbol, I take to represent the Caste of
Physicians. I carry it back to
Cadmus. He opens it. His eyes light up.
“Grunthon, go up the path to where Kiki said Zork had
last appeared. Call out to Zork. Ask him to come down into camp, so we can
deal with his wound.
“Clystemous, what will you need to remove a crossbow bolt
from the shoulder of Zork?”
Clystemous
gathers together cloths, water, a sharp knife, pincers, and medicinal alcohol
from the box. He’s just about ready when
Grunthon returns, Zork lumbering behind.
The erstwhile physician indicates a spot where he has
laid down a large sheet. Zork reclines.
“Cadmus, how do I speak
to this beast? How will I make him
understand what I’m going to do and why?”
Cadmus
is quick, not wanting Zork to be offended.
“No mere beast, this,
Healer. Zork is a cultured and
honourable being…”
Zork
cuts off Cadmus, emitting a string of sibilants and gutturals, the translating
box speaks in its usual monotone way.
“I hear you perfectly
well healer. Ask me whatever you want,
directly.”
“Oh! I’m sorry Sir. I’m assuming that you are male?”
“Very much so, Healer,
though the distinction is not binary in our culture, as it seems to be for you
puny ones.”
“Tell me Zork, your
wound is in your shoulder. You don’t have any vital organs in your shoulder do
you? In humans it is not so, it is
simple muscle and ligaments; is it the same with you?”
“Similar. Nothing major in shoulder.”
“You seem to be able to
use your arm, so I assume no broken bones?”
“No, don’t think so.”
“Can you turn on your
side, please, so I can look at your back.”
Zork
rolls over. Clystemous feels over the
back of Zork’s shoulder.
“Zork, given the size of
your shoulder blade, we can’t push the bolt through and out the back. It’s gong to have to come out the front. I don’t know if the bolt is barbed. If it is, then unless we are lucky and we can
align the path of the bolt going in with that of it coming out then getting it
out will tear your muscle. That will be very
painful for you. The best outcome will
be if the bolt isn’t barbed, but there will still be pain. I can give you something to deaden the pain. It might put you to sleep, but I’d be
guessing the dosage, and there is an outside chance of a reaction to the
medication.”
“Understand. No pain medic… I not sleep.
I make sure Phorgo and men not kill me in sleep. I make sure, chained ones not kill Phorgo and
men. I may make some noise.”
“That’s brave,
Zork! I don’t know that I’d have the
courage for that! So be it. Cadmus, find a hefty stick for Zork to bite
down on!”
Clystemous
kneels beside Zork. He offers a short
but solid tree branch. Zork take it
between his teeth. He cuts away part of
Zork’s now less than clean one-piece clothing.
Taking the pincers he reaches as deep down into the wound. Zork hisses loudly. Grasping the shaft of the bolt as low down as
possible, he pulls upwards with all his might.
Zork screeches! Twisting the bolt
slightly he tugs again and almost falls on his back, the bolt held firmly in
the pincers. Zork howls again.
“It’s your lucky day,
Zork! It’s out, and in one piece
too. Now to clean the wound and wrap it
in cloth. There’ll be a bit of pain when
we pour the alcohol into the wound, but we must do this. You don’t want the wound to rot.”
“Understand. Do it.”
Zork
hisses again. In short order Clystemous
has rigged a bandage to protect the wound from future infection.
“You good healer, Clystemous!”
“No, only a lucky one!
Kiki, Get Zork some food. He needs to regain his strength!”
“On it, Master.”
Fortunately
there’s a tarsk cooking on the fire.
Cadmus assigns surrendered weapons to a group of three technically legal
slaves and sends them out to hunt for more meat. The rest of the slaves he assigns to Phorgo,
to help in repairing the river galley.
There is only one fight between one of Phorgo’s men and
one of the slaves. Zork growls
menacingly at them. They stop fighting
and separate, going back to different duties.
Within a week the galley is repaired and stocked with
what food supplies could be caught or gathered.
Cadmus is in overall charge, but Phorgo due to his
sailing experience is made ‘sailing master’.
The rest of the party including Grunthon, take it in turn to crew and
row on a rota basis. I of course, am
tasked with supplying everyone with water and food, in addition to my intimate
tasks for Cadmus.
Zork, being unable to go below decks due to his physical
size finds a section of deck by the mast and commandeers it, using the mast as
a backrest.
We slide past the town of Teslit at dusk five days later,
pulling up at a beach some eight miles north of the town. Cadmus sends out a
hunting party, making sure that there is a balance in numbers and weapons
between Phorgo’s men and the slaves.
Zork on hand to ensure that no-one does anything stupid.
In a week we are approaching Ar’s Station at its
confluence of the river with the mighty Vosk river. Cadmus decides that we
should seek to pass into the Vosk river at dawn. His reasoning being that at that time of day
the guards and watchmen will not be at their most wakeful, and may be slow to
send out intercepting boats. His
reasoning is sound. We are past and
being carried rapidly by the Vosk current before the ships of Ar’s Station can
prohibit us. We have a mild shower as
stones from a trebuchet atop a tower of the fortress. None of the stones strikes the ship or swamps
it.
Zork’s wound heals quite quickly. He picks up his axe and using it as a
strengthening and training device proceeds to swing it through every possible
combination of moves. At first it’s
clear to me that he’s finding it painful when using the arm on the wounded
side, but the exercise strengthens Zork’s muscles and improves his
coordination. The crew naturally are
sufficiently concerned with and appreciate Zork’s skill. They keep the peace, fearing Zork’s wrath.
By the time we get to Jort’s Ferry, some ten days later,
Zork seems fully recovered. The pirate
galley seems to be the fastest vessel on the river, at this point, so it’s a
shock to the local populace when such a ship bearing a ‘monster’ arrives at the
town’s jetty. Quickly a rag-tag group of
men with a variety of weapons. Cadmus goes ashore to reassure them that Zork
will remain on the ship until He, Grunthon, Zork and I are ready to depart the
town, heading north. The townsfolk leave
a guard, or watch, to see that Zork stays aboard.
On board the ship, there’s a small coffer of coins. Cadmus sends Grunthon ashore to negotiate the
purchase of a small wagon, a tharlarion, and stores for the onward portion of
our journey. As he’s about to leave,
Clystemous enters the main cabin.
“I would speak with you,
Cadmus, and you Grunthon.”
“You may speak freely,
Clystemous.”
“Whence do you go,
please, sirs?”
“Essentially North and
West, ultimately to Torvaldsland, why?”
“I am exiled from my
city. Some of my medical research was
considered dangerous. I cannot return. I
have nowhere specific that I need or wish to go. I wondered if I could join your party?”
Cadmus
glances at Grunthon, as do I. I catch
his brief nod. I of course am not asked.
I am only property.
“Grunthon, buy extra rations for Clystemous, too.”
“Thank you, good sirs!”
True
to his word Zork allows Phorgo and his men to leave. He sends them off individually in different
directions giving each of them a share of the coins from the coffer, that have
not been expended by Grunthon. Phorgo
himself being allowed to keep his own slave, Hulia.
Cadmus, being a scribe, prepares manumission papers for
the former rowing slaves. He can do
this, him and Grunthon never having been formally enslaved, only merely being
captives. There being no slave-papers on
either of them, anywhere. The mood on
the ship is ecstatic. I do not regret
that there are no manumission papers for me.
I know that I would not survive as a free-woman without anyone to
protect me. I have no home-stone. I’d be
within someone else’s collar within a day!
The following morning, Grunthon pulls up our wagon with
its load of supplies to the jetty.
Cadmus hands over command of the ship to the most capable of the former
rowing slaves, and we depart northwards. The town inhabitants follow us
doubtless to be sure that we do actually leave their fair town!
The wagon is a big one.
Not big enough to carry Zork, but he doesn’t seem to mind that he will
have to walk. Given the length of his
stride he manages to maintain the same speed as the wagon. The wagon seat is wide enough for the three
men. I am neck-tethered to the rear of
the wagon. I’m not looking forward to being
tugged on a leash all the way to Torvaldsland.
Cadmus lifts me up, dropping my bottom onto the back of the wagon, my
legs hanging over the rear. There’s just
a nice gap between the cargo and wagons edge; perfect for the size of my
bottom. But then, I suppose that I too
am cargo! Why then, shouldn’t I be
allowed to ride on the wagon, along with the suls, bedding rolls, tarpaulins,
etc.?

Peony D Beckside, Arizona Wanderer, Tracker:
ReplyDelete(1) Another nice story, picture.
(2) A pasang is 0.70 miles.
(3) I noticed AoG (5) is dated 2017. I could use an Earth military expert in Ch. 09. I could borrow from your nine year expedition or have separate portal visitation. Of course, you will get credit and I will be careful of your three main characters.
vyeh